Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cooking

A couple friends and I (including Daniel, of course!) are going to a cheap movie tomorrow, and then coming over here for dinner. I really don't know how many will be able to stay for dinner; and since there is a variety of taste buds among those coming, I decided to make lots of things.
I popped on a pretty vintage-y apron, turned on Sinatra, and pureed, spiced, and tasted to my heart's content. First off was the Chilled Apple Soup I had posted on here. Well...I didn't have all the ingredients, so I subsituted things. And I forgot to buy 6 apples...I only bought 3. So I had to halve the recipie, too. Cranberry raspberry juice for apple juice, 2% milk for cream, and more cranberry juice for wine. Once I had it all made, it didn't taste very good: like a poorly made apple sauce. So I threw in some Redi-Whip. And some carmel sauce. perhaps not what they had in mind, but I can eat it now :) I'm not sure if I'm going to make it again ever, but I enjoyed the expeirence.


Next came pasta salad (new reciepe): again, I didn't all the ingredients, so I improvised. It turned out a lot better then the apple soup! Besides the pasta, it has salami, sundried tomatoes (the kind packaged in olive oil), and cucumber. The dressing is olive oil and red wine vinegar and basalmic vinegar. I used a little bit of the tomato's oil. it turned out very tasty, and I have to keep myself from eating it all for lunch today!


Last of all, I made real mashed potatoes. I'm used to the freeze-dried potato flakes, but Mum bought two large bags of potatoes. so I peeled, cut and boiled them. We have a potato masher, but I wanted to save time: I pulled out the imersion blender. My recipie warned me that to much whipping could turn them to glue...blenders cause too much whipping. I yanked the blender out of the pan, forgetting to let go of the button. OOOPS! Potato splattered everywhere! Even my hair! and that glutenous blob...after it got tasted, was spit straight into the sink!
Daniel wants to help me cook, so tomorrow before the movie, we'll make the Poppyseed chicken, and when we get home, I'll pop a vegtable in the microwave.


We'll have anywhere from 3-7 (unless people invite others!) for dinner tomorrow.

No comments: